How A Father Does It...

A father's perspective on raising children. Surviving from ages 6 to 18...

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sooperman vs. Ironing Man

I was having a conversation with a few of my sons last night and we were talking about being a teenager and all the things come at teenagers during those years.  When I talk to my children about anything, I always stress the importance of realizing their divinity.  This conversation was no different.

The biggest issue, I noticed, was that of the 'distraction' of girls.  I explained that your body is going through a war sparked by your hormones and this fights your divinity constantly.  The best defense is to keep your head focused on developing yourself spiritually and financially.  What happens is that when our hormones take over (with the help of society, the media, etc.) all we can truly focus on is our connection with the fairer sex.  This consumes us through our teen years and in many cases through our early and later twenties as well.

What this leaves is for us to stumble through young adult life trying to 'figure things out' and actually retards our growth.  So, when we turn forty and are physically at the stage in life when we can truly enjoy life, we are backtracking, trying to still get things right (going to school, starting new jobs, relocating, etc.)

During our twenties, we have the wonderful opportunity to enjoy ourselves as young adults but we are either in school (having reckless, teenage fun) or jumping from relationship to relationship because we can't control our hormones.  This isn't for EVERY one but far too many of us go through this familiar cycle.  What we miss is the fact that TRUE enjoyment deals with new life experiences that help expand our consciousness so that we don't allow ourselves to be pigeon-holed into a one sided view on life.  This has us ending up having to see psychiatrists, counselors and the like because we just can't "figure life out".

Back to my original point:  I titled this blog Sooperman vs. Ironing Man (spelled appropriately to avoid any copyright problems :-)) because as I talked to my sons, I gave them an analogy.  The analogy was simple and I'll probably do a video blog to explain it in more detail.

I asked them a simple question: Are you a Sooperman or are you an Ironing Man?  When they looked at me strange, I simple stated, "A Sooperman is a Supreme Being, who is supernatural among mortals and an Ironing Man is a mortal who utilizes concepts of mortalilty to make himself (or herself) look super.  After a few more minutes of explanation, they got it.  I ended with saying, always be a Sooperman because that is what you are by birth.

What do you think I meant by that?

No comments:

Post a Comment